Selecting the Ideal Starter Kit for Robotics Beginners

lukass

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

As someone transitioning from software engineering into the more hands-on and programming-focused world of robotics, I find myself a bit puzzled about the best starter kit to choose. There are numerous options available, particularly Arduino and Raspberry Pi.

I aspire to eventually construct a mobile robot — yes, a wheeled one with all the exciting features! However, the array of choices currently has me feeling overwhelmed. Would it be wiser to invest in a comprehensive starter kit, or should I gather the components individually?

I would really appreciate any recommendations or advice on how to embark on this exciting new path!"

I suggest checking out the TurtleBot platform, as it aligns closely with the type of mobile robot you're interested in constructing. You can find both the TB3 and TB4 kits on the market. The TB4 kit is more of a complete, ready-to-use package, whereas the TB3 offers more opportunities for hands-on customization.

If you're interested in 3D-printing your own quadruped robot pets, you can find information at Petoi's website. These robots use OpenCat, an open-source quadruped robotics framework in C++, available on GitHub.

Alternatively, if programming a robot is more your focus, consider the Bittle X robot dog, available at Petoi's product page. It supports programming in C++ and Python.

Back