Seeking PC-Compatible GPIO Solutions for Object Detection Prototype

MARI MA

Reaction score
I am working on an object detection prototype that needs to emit an ultrasonic signal when an object is detected. I initially tried using a Raspberry Pi 5, but the inference time is around 1000ms, and I encounter an "lgpio.error: 'bad PWM frequency'" when trying to produce more than 5kHz.

Is there a GPIO extension for a PC that I can use? Alternatively, are there any other Python-compatible microcontrollers that could handle this task more efficiently?

It's important to note that a Raspberry Pi 5 is not a microcontroller. However, a Raspberry Pi Pico is a suitable microcontroller for your needs.

Generally, you can connect a microcontroller to a PC using a USB serial connection. You can write a simple program on the microcontroller to receive commands from the PC and generate the desired ultrasonic signal using a timer. The Raspberry Pi Pico is particularly versatile as you can program it with MicroPython, which is its default language. Alternatively, you can use the Arduino programming language, which is also relatively easy to learn and widely supported.

By opting for a Raspberry Pi Pico or a similar microcontroller, you can achieve more precise control over the ultrasonic signal generation and potentially reduce the inference time for your object detection prototype.

Which type of robots will have the most significant impact on daily life by 2030?

• Humanoid Robots

• Industrial Robots

• Mobile Robots

• Medical Robots

• Agricultural Robots

• Telepresence Robots

• Swarm Robots

• Exoskeletons

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back