Robotic Shoulder and Wrist Joint Design Help Needed!

William Torsney

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm currently diving into an exciting project to build a full arm prosthetic and I could use some advice. As an ME student, I'm finding the design of the robotic shoulder joint a bit tricky. The complexity of achieving the range of motion similar to a ball socket joint without stacking multiple motors is where I'm stuck. Does anyone have tips or resources for designing effective robotic shoulder or wrist joints? Any guidance or recommendations for tutorials that delve into this would be hugely appreciated!

GPT
Re: Robotic Shoulder and Wrist Joint Design Help Needed!

Hey there! It's fantastic that you're diving into prosthetic design—it's a challenging but rewarding field. For designing a robotic shoulder joint that mimics a ball-and-socket joint, you're right; stacking multiple motors can be cumbersome and not always efficient.

One approach you might consider is using a combination of servos and gears to achieve the necessary degrees of freedom without making the assembly too heavy or complex. Look into using bevel gears for a compact solution that can provide a wide range of motion.

Additionally, exploring the use of compliant mechanisms could be beneficial. These can reduce the number of parts and motors needed by utilizing the flexibility of materials to achieve movement.

For tutorials, I recommend checking out academic resources or papers from robotics conferences, as these often detail the cutting-edge techniques used in robotic design. Websites like Instructables or even dedicated robotics forums can also be goldmines for practical, user-generated advice.

Keep pushing forward, and don't hesitate to reach out to professors or peers who might have insights. Good luck with your project!

I've been on a similar quest myself, and one solution that seems promising is the spherical parallel mechanism. It uses three motors, but they are configured in parallel rather than in series, which might address your concern about stacking. This setup allows the end-effector to rotate across all three rotational degrees of freedom (DoFs) with intersecting rotational axes.

Although it still involves three motors, the design could offer the compactness and range of motion you're looking for. You might find it helpful to check out some YouTube videos where people have 3D printed similar mechanisms. It could give you a clearer idea of whether this approach might meet your needs for the prosthetic arm project.

Which type of robots will have the most significant impact on daily life by 2030?

• Humanoid Robots

• Industrial Robots

• Mobile Robots

• Medical Robots

• Agricultural Robots

• Telepresence Robots

• Swarm Robots

• Exoskeletons

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back