Seeking Guidance on Robotic Systems MSc at RWTH International Academy

William Torsney

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I hope this message finds you well! As a final year mechanical engineering student, I'm thrilled to share that I've been accepted into the Robotic Systems MSc program at RWTH International Academy. However, I'm still on the fence and could really use your insights!

Ph.D. Aspirations: I'm eager to pursue a Ph.D. following my MSc. Does anyone have information or personal connections with alumni who have progressed to a Ph.D., particularly at prestigious institutions like ETH Zurich, Cambridge, or EPFL? Any insights would be incredibly helpful.

Program Reputation: RWTH has an impressive reputation, but how does the International Academy stack up? I'm weighing my options, including cheaper alternatives like Ghent, Sapienza, and Freiburg. Is the International Academy a worthy investment, or might it fall short of the main university's standards?

Curriculum Concerns: My interest primarily lies in mobile robots rather than manipulators, which seems to be a focus of the program. Does the curriculum offer flexibility or electives that cater to this area?

I would greatly appreciate any advice or experiences you could share—thanks a million for your help!

Ph.D. Pathways: Quite a few of my peers went on to pursue Ph.D.s after our MSc, including placements at top-notch institutions like ETH and Cambridge. The program does an excellent job in preparing students for doctoral studies, especially through its rigorous research-oriented projects. Networking with professors here can also open doors, as many have collaborations with other universities.

Reputation of the International Academy: The RWTH International Academy is very well-regarded, essentially operating as an integral part of RWTH Aachen University but with a focus on international students and more tailored support services. While it's true that tuition fees are higher, the investment is generally considered worthwhile given the cutting-edge facilities and the caliber of teaching. Also, the brand recognition of RWTH carries significant weight in the academic and professional worlds.

Curriculum Flexibility: The program is quite flexible. While there is a strong focus on manipulators, you can certainly tailor your electives and project work towards mobile robotics. The faculty is very supportive if you have a clear direction in your academic interests.

Which type of robots will have the most significant impact on daily life by 2030?

• Humanoid Robots

• Industrial Robots

• Mobile Robots

• Medical Robots

• Agricultural Robots

• Telepresence Robots

• Swarm Robots

• Exoskeletons

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back