I want to build a robotic lawn mower to trim and edge my yard. What robotic kit would you recommend as a base?

MyGRT

Reaction score
I'm looking for a kit that's expandable, so I can add features like a camera, a small saw, or a DC motor with various attachments.

Do you think the Dagu Rover 5 would be a good starting point?

I'm new to this kind of project, but I'm excited to leverage my background in neural network engineering to make it happen.

Thanks!

It is true that the Dagu Rover 5 can be used as a great base in your project because it is flexible and has a strong frame. Here are a few reasons why it might be a good fit:Here are a few reasons why it might be a good fit:

Modularity: The Rover 5 is extendible in its design owing to today’s probable use of coupled ubiquitous elements. It becomes extremely simple to add multiple sensors, cameras, and even more infrastructural parts such as a small saw or a DC motor with its accessories.

Strong Base: It features a robust frame and robust motors that provide adequate power required for maneuvering along the lawn and properly executing the cutting or trimming of the grass.

Control Options: Several controllers are compatible with Rover 5, and it may be connected to Arduino or Raspberry Pi, which simplifies the process of using a neural network by integrating it.

Community Support: Rover 5 is a well-documented and well-documented platform so you should be able to find lots of people ‘out there’ which will be of great benefit to you as you go through your project.

To get started, here are a few suggestions:To get started, here are a few suggestions:

Camera Integration: There is a possibility to apply a Raspberry Pi with the camera for the vision system of the mower.

Motor Control: Make sure that any additional motors or saws that you install are compatible with the Rover 5’s motor driver or you can use a separate motor drivers that can then be interfaced to your main microcontroller.

Power Supply: You should ensure that your power supply is capable of handling the extra load being posed by the new parts.

As you are well-equipped with practical knowledge of neural networks, you could devise the way to detect the object and even plan the way to trim the lawn in the most efficient manner.

Bigger kits won’t suffice; you require ground clearance and the necessity to lift the weight of the equipment, let alone batteries. As options for the motors, you can consider hoverboard motors, the controllers can be BLDC with a possibility to control them via Raspberry Pi and WebRTC with WiFi or LTE.

Many of these processes can be done so remotely. It has the amenity of attaching a battery-powered string trimmer to it. If it is remote-controlled then, probably, it’s not such a problem (another problem of autonomy, however).

I have really wanted to make a robotic lawnmower myself for years, but I refuse to do so because if I just hold out for longer, I'll have a humanoid robot done that can push a regular mower which would make a robotic mower unnecessary and a waste of time to have made.

Which type of robots will have the most significant impact on daily life by 2030?

• Humanoid Robots

• Industrial Robots

• Mobile Robots

• Medical Robots

• Agricultural Robots

• Telepresence Robots

• Swarm Robots

• Exoskeletons

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back