I want to ask you for some ideas for motors which would allow me to build differential drive robot.

MARI MA

Reaction score
I am going to be making a differential drive robot with dimensions approximately 50cm x 60cm. The design is primarily based on two central motors and the tilted caster wheels at the front and back. The height of the robot is about 1. 5 m tall, the passenger cabin of this one is capable of holding a massive load of 100kg.

Encoders will be necessary for motors to be capable whether built-in or external.

The robot will work inside a warehouse building; the exact location is a matter of yet to be resolved. In this regard, may you also tell me what kind of tires (excluding omni wheels for engineering reasons) might be appropriate for my design?

Raspberry Pi 5 is the PLC that I have used in my experiment. If I’ve fallen short, I apologize, it's because I'm new to these activities.

Designing a differential drive robot having dimensions of your own and with its payload capacity is, in reality, a really good project! Here are some suggestions for motors and tires, as well as additional considerations for your design:Here are some suggestions for motors and tires, as well as additional considerations for your design:

Motor Selection

Motor Type:

Brushless DC Motors (BLDC): These are the best, have high initial output against their weight and are capable of lifting heavy payloads.

Geared DC Motors: Solve the problem of high torque requirement by developing technology that will be used for carrying a 100kg load.

Specifications:

Torque: Ensuring the motor has enough torque level. A 0.1 tonne weight demands motors with a torque of no less than 10 Nm each. The torque value depends on the gear ratio.

Speed: Choose coupled motors with wide speed range suitable for both each car design and driving control. The usable RPM range should be set at about 100-200 for a warehouse application.

Encoders:

Built-in Encoders: Make integrating elements easy and simple.

External Encoders: Provide the flexibility in resolving issues and that a method can be chosen based on the precision required.Source: sentences

Example Motors:

Banebots P60 Gearmotor: Often times referred to as its gain has employed different gear ratios.

Maxon RE-40 with Encoder: Geared motor with encoder included. This motor works in the conjunction with precise control.

Tire Selection

Material:

Rubber Tires: This refers to shoes that have patterns on the bottom of them, not smooth surfaces. Those shoes reduce friction, and they can prevent injury from shocks.

Pneumatic Tires: Remind for extra shock absorption and also appropriate for harsh grassy grounds.

Size:

Diameter: For the rims size, 15-20 cm would be enough to guarantee good balance between being able to overcome disparities and smooth-running on the public roads.

Width: With greater tire width, the weight is spread more evenly. And, this increases the stability of the vehicle. The next step is to host a socio-ecological agricultural workshop. We recommend a width of 5 to 10 cm.

Tread Pattern:

Smooth Tread: A great variety for all kinds of indoor smooth surfaces.

Light Tread: Improvites cornering capability leading to not too aggressive tread pattern.

Additional Considerations

Power Supply:

Mandatory items are to include high output batteries, such as lithium-ion type, that can offer sufficient power to are needed for your motors.

Motor Controller:

Pick a motor controller that you can connect to Raspberry Pi 5 and which has the current capabilities required by your motors for example .e.g Sabertooth 2x60 and Pololu high-power motor driver.

Structural Integrity:

Consider the robot's height and up-loading character-istics to build a low center of gravity structure with reinforcements to prevent tripping.

Safety Features:

Consider the emergency suspensions and safety sensors for the large load carriage and traumas prevention.

For your different robot-driers, it is advisable to use brushless or geared DC motors with integral encoders. For good fuel efficiency and environmental footprint, opt for lightweight, high-density, and low-rolling resistance tires with a smooth or minor tread pattern that is properly sized for stability and traction. Make sure that your design account for any deviation and the working environment by using appropriate power supply, motor controller and structural design.

It is completely fine to query more details about anything that you are not sure of as much as you would like.

Which type of robots will have the most significant impact on daily life by 2030?

• Humanoid Robots

• Industrial Robots

• Mobile Robots

• Medical Robots

• Agricultural Robots

• Telepresence Robots

• Swarm Robots

• Exoskeletons

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back